Wednesday 29 May 2013

⌔ rainy May

on a rainy May day I really fancied some fruit cake
looking through my recipe books
most of them were quite Wintery
with cinnamon or cloves and way too many eggs!

so I stumbled across a recipe from an old neighbour
that I could change to satisfy my craving

it's rather cool as it doesn't use any butter or oil
just good old fashioned tea!

Maytime Fruit Teabread

you will need ....

250g plain flour
125g muscovado sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
1 egg
the grated zest of an orange
375g dried fruit {any you like}
and a 250ml cup of tea {I used lady grey}

first thing to do is make the tea!
pour it over the dried fruits and leave for a few hours
or preferably overnight to plump them up

preheat the oven to 170c/ gas 3
line a loaf tin with baking paper

in a large bowl, put in all the dry ingredients
and mix with a whisk
{this gets rid of any lumps and adds air}
pour in the soaked fruit (& any remaining tea)
add the grated zest and egg
mix well and dollop into the prepared tin
bake for an hour until cooked
then leave to cool in the tin
tasty on it's own or slathered with jam!

1 comment:

☺ thank you for taking the time to leave a comment ~ I might not always reply but they really are valued ☺