Friday 28 March 2014

▹► your mother should know

 did I tell you I've been going to cake club?
once a month, local ladies meet up
to eat our bakes
this months theme was Mothers Favourites
now mine likes lemon drizzle
but I decided to make it with the flavours I like
after all I am a Mama too :-)

lime, ginger and coconut cake

you will need ....

200g butter
175g caster sugar
200g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
50g coconut
1 tsp ground ginger
3 eggs
lots of limes {I used 4}
4 balls of stem ginger {chopped}
2 tbsp milk
a pinch of salt

for the drizzle ....
3 tbsp of the syrup from the ginger
3 tbsp caster sugar
the juice of two limes

heat the oven to 180c/gas 4
line a loaf tin with greaseproof
in a large bowl
mix butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy
add the eggs one at a time
beating well in between each
add the grated zest of 3 of the limes
and the pinch of salt

stir in chopped ginger and coconut
then fold through flour, baking powder,
the juice from 2 limes and the milk
until smooth

spoon into prepared loaf tin and bake for an hour or so
test for doneness with a skewer

cool the cake for about 5 minutes 
meanwhile mix together sugar, ginger and lime juice
make holes in the top of your loaf 
and drizzle drizzle drizzle 
cool in the tin completely 
then remove and cut and devour!
happy mothers day

4 comments:

  1. I've been organising a cake club here too, not blogged about it (yet), I don't know how long i can continue with it as much of my work it w/e and that is when the participants wish to meet. Do like the sound of your cake.and a lovely theme too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we only meet once a month ~ our waistlines thank us for that! you should do it Shaheen ;-))

      Delete
  2. This is incredible and wonderful. I live in a studio with a small oven that sets off the smoke alarm, so I'm not able or willing to bake, but these recipes are just delightful to read and regard. It's like reading a glossy travel book of some faraway city. Thank you for all of that work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! that has got me thinking about 'no-bake' cakes now :-)
      I love your cartoons btw and glad to have found your page again!

      Delete

☺ thank you for taking the time to leave a comment ~ I might not always reply but they really are valued ☺