Saturday 27 March 2010

☼ british summertime begins

the clocks go forward an hour tonight here in the UK:
which means lighter evenings and longer days:
with that in mind I've baked a cake that will keep all week:
so I can grab a slice while I create, make and do what I do:
think the original recipe was an internet one:
tweaked by me:
today I've added caraway seeds because the bright yellow
daffodils in my garden were my great grandmother Una's favourites:
and so was seedy cake:

Una Cake

you will need:
200g caster sugar *plus a spoonful for sprinkling*
240g butter ~ softened
3 eggs 
210g self raising flour
90g plain flour
a large lemon ~ finely grated zest and juice:
preheat the oven to 170°c/ gas 3:
grease and line a loaf tin:
cream the butter and sugar together until pale and light:
add the lemon zest and stir:
then add the eggs one at a time with a heaped spoonful
of the flours:  mixing well:
I added a spoonful of caraway seeds but you can leave these
out if you're not sure of the taste: 
*it's an acquired one*

add the lemon juice and the rest of the flour:
yes it's quite a stiff mix but go with it:
pile into your loaf tin and sprinkle with caster sugar:
bake for about an hour, testing with a skewer to make sure it's
cooked right through:
cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out to cool onto a rack:
this cake needs to be cold before slicing so be patient:
delicious with coffee while I crochet:
^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment

☺ thank you for taking the time to leave a comment ~ I might not always reply but they really are valued ☺